|Little Strickler-Saga||Chronicle 1300 - 1699||Chronicle 1700 - 1899||Bibliography|
From where do the Stricklers come?
Although our name appears in many countries, its origin appears to have been in the area of Waedenswil/Richterswil in the Canton of Zurich, Switzerland. Up to now we have been unable to establish any other root possibilities that do not trace back to this source.
The Strickler name emanated from usage of the term "am Strick" (also "Strich"), which was derived from the German words for line, rope or string. In the instant case, it led to a meaning that signified an elongated pathway or lane.
The specific path or route, it has been determined, led from Waedenswil, passed over the mountainand ended at Einsiedeln. The area where the family name first turned up was the part of the "Dominion of Waedenswil". However, the original Stricklers didnąt live in the built-up area; instead they preferred to live "on the mountain", a regional term referring to the hilly, morainic landscape to the west of the lake of Zurich. Today the village of Samstagern is situated there.
The inhabitants of this sparsely settled area were of Alemannic descent. The Alemanni being a Gothic tribe so named by the Romans, had invaded Switzerland and Alsace during the 5th century. From 1287 until 1549 the area belonged to the "Command of Waedenswil" under the administration of the "Order of St. John of Jerusalem" at the old castle of Waedenswil.
From its beginning the family began to spread throughout the surrounding area, where today onefinds the villages Huetten, Schoenenberg, Hirzel. It is noteworthy that for a number centuriesthe areas to which the Stricklers spread always remained in the hills close to but on the other side of the administrative district's borders. Did this seemingly freedom-loving people want to stay as far as possible from their lords? They probably were mostly farmers or craftsmen.
Subjects of Zurich
In 1549 the Order of St. John of Jerusalem sold the command to the City-State of Zurich, which meant that the inhabitants had to accept the unique form of Protestantism promoted by Zwingli, which had become the official religion in Zurich. The territory governed by "Waedenswil" was contiguous on the south and on the west to the Catholic regions of Zug and Schwyz. So even after the religious Protestant versus Catholic wars of 1529 and 1531 (Kappeler Kriege) tension reigned along the borders.
Early on in the 16th century the Reformation brought the priests liberation from celibacy; but for the people everything remained as before. The power was now placed in the hands of the priests, who also were designated by the authorities of Zurich to control the population. For example, the priests were, responsible for the census and the registration of the population, and the weekly church service was the appropriate place for official announcements.
For some people the Reformation didnąt change enough. They saw the message of the Bible in another way. They rejected baptism of children as a grave error, accepting only baptism of mature adults, who beforehand had been instructed thoroughly in the Gospel. They were, therefore, referred to as "Baptists".
Because the Baptists admonished their followers not to attend the state sanctioned church services and preached obedience only to God, the government and the ecclesiastical administration regarded them as a serious threat. This led to persecution of the Baptists and to efforts to persuade them that their beliefs were erroneous.
Baptists who did not revoke their beliefs were locked up in a Zurich prison. Baptist preachers were even drowned in the Limmat River.
And so the Baptists attempted to hide as well as they could. The hilly area above Lake Zurich offered suitable hiding places. At the end of 1639 the Baptist Commission of the Council of Zurich (designated to resolve the Baptist problem) took up the matter and sought a radical solution. On December 5, 1639 the Commission decided to confiscate all goods of the Baptists and to hunt down all of them who were not yet in prison. (Hans Ulrich Pfister: Die Auswanderung aus dem Knonaueramt 1648-1750). So, the Baptists were forced to emigrate.
... and poverty
But non-Baptists also were forced to emigrate during the 17th and 18th centuries. Following the last of the great bubonic plague epidemics of 1611 and 1629 and a lesser one in 1635, a continuing population increase commenced, which led to severe overpopulation problems. It did not stop until 1690. During 1691 through 1693, the Canton of Zurich experienced the greatest famine in its recent history. The food crisis appeared simultaneously in numerous areas and struck with such a concentrated effect that the population could hardly live at a subsistence level. (Hans Ulrich Pfister: Die Auswanderung aus dem Knonauer Amt 1648-1750).
Destinations of escape: The palatinate...
Many refugees from Zurich migrated to the Palatinate of today's Republic of Germany. This refers specifically to the territories to the west and east of the Rhine River and in the surroundings of Heidelberg, in the Kraichgau and in the territories of Neustadt at the Weinstrasse.
Following the Thirty Years War, Elector Karl Ludwig wanted to increase the population of his country as quickly as possible. Therefore he invited foreigners to settle in his country.
Involvement of the Palatinate in wars with France, the battles in the Dutch War and devastation by the French in the War of Succession rained down on the Palatinate its harsh impacts, as well.
To cite Hans Ulrich Pfister in his book about migration from the "Knonauer Amt", "As a result of large scale emigration and the death of many people during the War of Succession, the Palatinate suffered a huge population loss, which became apparent during the reconstruction process after the war. Elimination of the war devastation mandated a huge expenditure of effort, requiring that once again foreign laborers were to be summoned."
|1384||First record of the Strickler name. (5-10)|
|1391||From a document of the Religious Knights of the Order of Waedenswil: "Wernli" at "Strick" ("Strick" meaning residing on the path/road) (1-49)|
|1391||Commons record entry (commons denoting property held in common by the citizens) indicates that "Wernli" at "Strick" and his wife Anna were owners of an estate at "Fridhuebsch", which bordered on one side to the commons and on the other side to another estate. It was subject to the tax authority of the Religious Knights of the Order of Waedenswil. (1-72)|
|1470||Zurich tax records show: "Junghanns", "Althanns" and "Rudy" at "Strick". (1-49)|
|1470||Records refer to innkeeper "Heinin" at "Strick", son of "Althanns" at "Strick". (1-49)|
|1515||An Allemani (precursors of the Germans) listing of paid combatants named 46 people from Richterswil, including 6 Stricklers, all of whom fought in the battle of Marignano (4a-35)|
|1520||A report of a fishing rights conflict at "Huettnersee" under the leadership of the deputy district leader, Johannes von Hattstein of the Knight Order, mentions Ruedi Strickler from "Feldmoos" and Hans Strickler of "Unter Laubegg". (3-64)|
|1530||Reference in a note of indebtedness to Rudolf Strickler residing at "Strick" on "Richtischwyler" Mountain, whose house served as an inn. (1-49)|
|1530||An entry indicates that permission was granted for "Rudy" Stricklers house to continue functioning as an inn. (1-49)|
|1530||A property registry recorded the Hans Stricklers property, known as "Fridhuebsch", situated at "Strick". (1-72)|
|1564||Entry in the public records: Rudolf Strickler from "Strik" at "Essell" (1-30)|
|1564||Entry in the public records: Peter Strickler at "Hasslenhof" (1-16)|
|1568||The real estate register of Waedenswil mentions an estate at "Schwanden" owned by Rudolf Strickler from "Esel". (1-46)|
|1568||A recording indicates a Joerg Strickler residing at "Fridhuebsch". (1-72)|
|1634||Public records refer to: "Jagli Strickler of "Haslen" (1-16)|
|1636||An entry reports: Heinrich Strickler (1636-1711), father of the succeeding descendant Strickler schoolmasters, was born. Heinrich Strickler had a cousin bearing the same name, who was cited as the schoolmaster at "Bellen". (5-11)|
|1656||From the real estate register: Urban Strickler from "Sternen" at "Richtenschwylerberg" (1-49)|
|1657||In a promissory note reference: Georg Strickler at "Bellen" (1-14)|
|1669||Entry recording: Hans Strickler as navigator on a boat at Richterswil (4b-53)|
|1671||Death register: Urban Strickler at "Sternen" (1-49)|
|1679||Commons record entry: Hans Jacob and Heinrich Strickler at "Bellen"(1-14)|
|1679||Commons record entry: Hans and Hans Jacob Strickler at "Huegsamm" (1-60)|
|1679||Parish register: Death of Elisabetha Strickler-Rellstab at "Kabis" (today "Neuheim") (1-36)|
|1688||Jakob Strickler, schoolmaster from "Fellmis" is born. (4a-59)|
|1691||Real estate register: Heinrich Strickler from "Felldmaass" (1-20)|
|1711||Jakob Isler acquires one half of the "Ottensegel" estate from Urech Strickler (3-8)|
|1711||Heinrich Strickler, father of schoolmaster Jakob Strickler dies. (5-11)|
|1713||The mother of schoolmaster Jakob Strickler, Verena Hauser (born 1647) dies. Jakob Strickler divides the house at "Fellmis" with his sister Regula. She marries Heinrich Strickler, who then lived in the house. Schoolmaster Heinrich Strickler of "Bellen" was witness to the division of the property. (5-13/43)|
|1713||Schoolmaster Jakob Strickler of "Fellmis" held his classes at "Stocken" on the "Wedenschweilerberg" from 1713 to 1716 (5-12)|
|1716||The schoolmasters Jakob Strickler of "Fellmis" and Heinrich Strickler of "Bellen" were required to take a qualifying examination in Zurich. Heinrich Strickler did not pass and had to cease teaching, whereas Jakob Strickler from that time until 1760 continued to hold classes at "Felmis". (5-15)|
|1717||The schoolmaster, Jakob Strickler of "Fellmis" marries Regula Sennhauser of Schoenenberg (5-41)|
|1717||The locksmith, Johann Strickler, assisted in building the new roof of the church of Richterswil. (4b-42)|
|1731||Bernhard Sennhauser of Schoenenberg, the father-in-law of the schoolmaster, Jakob Strickler dies. Jakob Strickler inherits the house, which was sold to master Jakob Strickler of "Horgenerberg". (5-44)|
|1750||There was marital row between Heinrich Scherer from "Oerischwand", his wife Anna Strickler of "Blegi" and her father, Kaspar Strickler of "Blegi". (5-36)|
|1757||In a reply of Waedenswil 's governor to Zurich's city council a notation was entered: "Captain Strickler's brewery at Richterswil" (the brewery was that of Fire Chief Strickler). (2-72)|
|1757||Jakob Strickler of "Blegi" still owes the schoolmaster, Jakob Strickler of "Fellmis", 5 overdue payments for his employment as schoolmaster. (5-31)|
|1760||Cousin "Hans Ruedeli" Strickler of "Boeschen" gives twenty-eight large crabs, to the schoolmaster, Jakob Strickler of "Fellmis", which he in turn gave to Parson Felix Vogler of Richterswil. (5-28)|
|1760||The schoolmaster, Jakob Strickler of "Fellmis", is ordered by the provincial governor to conduct a census of Richterswil. (5-38)|
|1763||The schoolmaster, Jakob Strickler dies on Christmas Day. Barbara, the only daughter surviving childhood, marries a furniture maker, Heinrich Rusterholz. (5-41/42/56/)|
|1795||Records report: Judge Rudolf Strickler-Bachmann (1714-1795) lived at "Boeschen" (3-27)|
|1799||Hans-Jacob Strickler of "Saag" (born 1770) dies in his house, mortally wounded by a cannon shot. (Franco Russian Austrian War ) (4c-37)|
|1799||Ulrich Strickler of "Saagen" is seated in the first Richterswil council. (4c-28)|
|1799||Jacob Strickler of "Sternen", appointed fort overseer for the regional authority of Richterswil. (4c-32)|
|1804||The former Judge Ulrich Strickler of "Saag" appointed arms keeper of the regional council (4c-52)|
|1805||The director of the Commons Strickler refuses to accept election to the regional council. (4c-54).|
|1823||Heinrich Strickler of Richterswil appointed night watchman and lamplighter. (2-94)|
|1822||Johannes Strickler of "Berg" confirmed as justice of the peace. (4d-11)|
|1831||Heinrich Strickler of "Bergli" becomes president of the municipal council of Huetten and Heinrich Strickler of "Boeschen" becomes member of the council. (3-30)|
|1831||Jakob Strickler of "Gruenenfeld" becomes district election clerk. (4d-31)|
|1831||Veterinarian Strickler, appointed to the regional council of Richterswil. (4d-32)|
|1831||Real estate registry: Regional Councilman Jacob Strickler from "Gruenenfeld" at "Richtenschweilerberg". (1-30)|
|1840||The tavern "Zur frohen Aussicht" specialized in the wine of Caspar Strickler. (3-49)|
(1) - Kurt Wild: "Richterswil im Spiegel seiner Flurnamen" (Richterswil
in the Mirror of its Field Names), published 1995 by Verlag Druckerei Inc.,
(2) - Kurt Wild: "Alt-Richterswil", published 1992 by Buchdruckerei Inc., Richterswil
(3) - Peter Ziegler: "Huetten", published 1987 by Stutz & Co. Inc., Waedenswil
(4) - Heinrich Peter: "Aus der Ortsgeschichte von Richterswil", published by Buchdruckerei Inc., Richterswil
(4a) - Volume 1: 1975
(4b) - Volume 2: 1975
(4c) - Volume 3: 1980
(4d) - Volume 4: 1983
(4e) - Volume 5: 1985
(5) - Walter Hoehn-Ochsner: "Aus dem Leben und Wirken des Schulmeisters Jakob Strickler" (From the Life and Works of Schoolmaster Jakob Strickler), published by Buch- und Kunstdruckerei Inc., Richterswil